Provision and return of the works
The objects are provided 8 working days before the opening of the exhibition at the earliest. They should be returned within a maximum of 8 days after closing.
The works are provided with no mounting element; the Musée du quai Branly reserves the right to have mounts produced at the borrower’s expense. In the case of works already mounted, the Musée du quai Branly will specify the installation recommendations during dispatch.
Costs payable by the borrower
In all cases, the borrower will be responsible for the following costs:
- Condition reports before departure of the works
- Packaging, transport and installation
- Return convoy according to the following minimum durations: France and Europe: 3 days / 2 nights; Outside Europe: 5 days / 4 nights. These durations may be revised upwards depending on the installation requirements
- Accommodation and daily allowances for the conveyer (€75 / day)
If required, it should also pay for the following expenses:
- Framing / mounting
- Shooting and reproduction for catalogue
- Transport and convoy
A conveyer from the Musée du quai Branly must be present at each stage of the movement of the works: collection, transport, delivery, installation as far as a closed display case, then during disassembly until the return of the works. The conveyer represents the museum and has all the authority of action to guarantee the protection of the works for which he is responsible.
The choice of transporters must be approved by the Musée du quai Branly.
Please note that some works require particular transport and exhibition conditions due to their fragility. These specific recommendations are transmitted in advance by the Musée du quai Branly and must be respected.
- Packaging, transport, plane tickets and export formalities must be coordinated by one, and only one, transporter licensed for “works of art”
- Supervision by the transporter to the airport (cartage to and from the airport, delivery in freight zone, supervision of palletisation in the presence of the conveyer, obtaining an official badge and assistance for the conveyer)
- Reservation of exchangeable and reimbursable plane tickets
- On long-distance flights, business class is required for the journey accompanying the works.
- Transporter licensed for “works of art”
- Lorry licensed for “works of art”:
- Alarm in the carriage area and circuit-breaker
- Padding and air suspension systems
- Air-conditioning system to maintain a temperature of 18 - 20°C in the carriage area
- Equipment required depending on the mission (tail-lift, etc.)
- GSM telephone and satellite tracking system
- Two drivers
- Seat available for a conveyer
- Reservation of exchangeable and reimbursable train tickets for the conveyer’s return journey.
The summary of minimal guarantees required by the Musée du quai Branly may be consulted online. It states the insurance conditions to be taken out by the borrowing museum from the broker at the Musée du quai Branly; the borrower benefits from the contract rates for the Musée du quai Branly resulting from a tender process.
Each request for government guarantee will be submitted to the legal department at the Musée du quai Branly for its opinion.
The borrower should send 6 copies of the exhibition catalogue. These should be sent to the loans, deposits and acquisitions centre at the Musée du quai Branly.
changes made to the request
For every request for an additional loan, or the alteration of dates or locations, a new letter must be sent to the President of the Musée du quai Branly at least 3 months before the opening date.
This request must also be approved by the loans and deposits commission.
cancelling a request
Any cancellation must be submitted in writing and at the earliest possible opportunity to the Musée du quai Branly. The expenses already incurred (condition report, restoration, framing, mounting) will remain the responsibility of the borrower.
Specifics of photograph loans
The Musée du quai Branly reserves the right to offer exhibition prints in lieu of original prints, after a decision from the loans and deposits commission and for reasons of conservation.
Specifics of deposits
Deposits of works do not concern graphic arts or textiles and are granted for a maximum duration of 5 years. At the end of this period, a request for the renewal of the deposit must be made to the Musée du quai Branly, which will decide on this proposition.
The depositors may not loan the works to other institutions without prior agreement from the President and after consultation with the loan and deposits commission of the Musée du quai Branly. Furthermore, the Musée du quai Branly can request the return of the work deposited at any time, if required.
The Musée du quai Branly holds 285,000 objects which can be browsed according to an infinite number of themes. To help you in your research, all these works may be consulted on the institution website.
You may come and present your project to the Director of the Heritage Department and Collections, Yves le Fur, before making any official loan request, the procedure for which is detailed below.